Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On 30 Days Here…

Yesterday was 30 days in the new city.

In the first 30 days I:

  • moved across country/rode in a car for 15 hours
  • unpacked over 75 boxes
  • installed, reinstalled and installed again my wireless internet connection
  • had 2 out of 4 Sunday AJC newspapers delivered correctly
  • did untold loads of laundry
  • (ditto for dishwasher use)
  • researched, test drove and bought a new car (Fiiiiiiiiiit!)
  • worked on, went with the flow with (when plans majorly changed 2 times) and planned logistics for a 2 day festival in ATL (happens this weekend)
  • entertained 5 visitors in one week
  • researched, bought and put together 2 leather barstools and a wooden TV stand
  • organized my new closet
  • took 4 car loads of clothing and other things to Goodwill
  • bought a sleeper loveseat
  • bought a new outdoor plant for my balcony
  • joined the gym downstairs and worked out 10 times (wish it was more)
  • received countless emails and phone calls from family and friends asking me how I was doing
  • cried myself to sleep 10 times
  • found my mailbox after 8 days (was not told the mailbox #)
  • spent 2 “fun” days of Comcast installation
  • did hatha yoga 6 times
  • received 5 cards and notes in the mail from friends
  • watched TBO sleep for hours and hours and hours
  • went to the Dialog in the Dark Exhibit in Atlantic Station
  • had a lot of trouble sleeping the first 3 weeks. Still having some issues, but am starting to get a little more sleep.
  • spent more time than one person should at Target and WalMart (surprisingly, more time at the WalMart which is farther down the road than Target)
  • only been to Starbucks 2 times in 30 days (and one of them was the day after I got here) I think I have broken my addiction to hot chocolate
  • was put on anti-anxiety medication
  • learned my way to and from work both by Marta train and car
  • found the closest JCPenney's
  • learned the pros and cons of both Kroger and Publix (I think I like Publix better, but I am not sure yet)
  • made brownies, homemade mac and cheese and homemade freezer burritos…mmm…comfort food

I am sure there is a lot more that I have done that I am missing, but this is all I can think of right now. It has not been the worst month of my life, but it certainly has not been the best.

While change is a good thing most of the time, I am allowing myself to be unhappy and homesick for a little while longer.

A lot of people have told me the sooner I “own” my unhappiness, stop pretending I love it to people who live here and just grieve for what I have lost, the sooner I will come to terms with everything.

I miss my friends. I miss picking up the 147 outside my house and waking up to frost on the windows. I miss my morning starbucks and walking to Walgreens at lunchtime. I miss hearing sirens every ten minutes on Sheridan and walking along the lake on the bike path. I miss I Go car sharing and pool monitoring. I miss seeing Chase banks on every corner and the crazy lady in the wheelchair that used to think she was a car. I miss seeing the Chicago skyline as I ride into work.

I still feel like I am on vacation.

I miss home.

1 comment:

  1. It won't fix everything, but go to this blog for a dose of humor: http://fuckyoupenguin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete