Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dialog in the Dark

When I moved here, I promised myself I would see if there was an “ATL on the Cheap” type website or book to find interesting things to do, but not have to pay full price to go.

I noticed that in my neighborhood they have this exhibit/experience called “Dialog in the Dark”. This is how the website explains the experience:

The idea is simple: In completely darkened rooms blind people lead small groups of guests through an exhibition in which everyday situations are experienced altogether differently, without eyesight.

A role reversal takes place: sighted people are torn out of social routines and familiar acceptance. Blind people provide a sense of orientation and mobility and become ambassadors of a culture devoid of images. They prove that being blind is a different, interesting way to perceive and lead life and has nothing to do with thoughts of suicide and despair. Everybody shares an unforgettable experience. They feel their own limits, perceptions and gratitude for their eyesight; they come to understand the importance of empathy, communication and solidarity and develop respect for people who see the world through different eyes.

I was intrigued.

I went last Thursday night after work after finding a 40% off coupon online.

When you walk in, they measure you for a cane, then take you into a slightly darkened room where you sit on lighted boxes. As a recorded voice tells you about what you are about to experience, the lights slowly go down until you are in total darkness.

It is sort of scary, sitting in total darkness not knowing what is coming next.

For some reason I was freaked that they were going to all the sudden flash 2 headlights in my face as a joke.

Rest assured, it was nothing like that.

It was an amazing experience and I am so glad I went.

My leader, Roxanne, has only been visually impaired since 2002. She lost sight completely in one eye in 1996, then lost most of her sight in the other in 2002.

She was extremely interesting to talk to to hear about her life and how she copes with every day live as a visually-impaired person.

I won’t tell you what happens inside (incase you decide to go) but I will say that it is fun and interesting to get around obstacles in total darkness.

Let me know if you decide to go!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect metaphor for what you're experiencing...

    ReplyDelete