Friday, April 17, 2009

Lookie what I did!

Today was “work on all things festival day” at work.

For those of you that don’t know, my normal (and new) job has been put on hold to instead do all the logistics and implementation for a festival in Atlanta next week. In the last month, “we” (quotes meaning not me) have changed the plan of action about 4 times. 

I am working very hard to make sure the festival goes off without a hitch.

I spent the early morning running around town gathering items to use at the festivals. All of the stores I needed to go to opened at 10, so from about 8-9, I worked on my for the day “to do” list then remembered that today is a day I had been trying to remember for the week.

Today is “get something expensive for really cheap” day at IKEA.

IKEA is in my backyard, and last week I was reading my new favorite in-town blog, Atlanta on the Cheap, and they mentioned that IKEA was having “Seize the Day” sales over this weekend.

Let me back up.

When I first arrived in Atlanta in February to look for a place to live, the place I ended up living in was available either with or without furniture.

The island in the kitchen had 2 barstools that made a cute seating area. I decided to take the place unfurnished (since I had furniture already) and knew at some point I would need to buy a few new pieces to make my house feel like home.

I had priced barstools at Target and IKEA recently, and was blown away at how expensive they are. I figured I could wait to have an eating area until I had more cash.

And now, back to the story at hand…

I noticed on the Atlanta on the Cheap blog that they were going to have barstools that were usually $99-$109.00 on deep discount- $39.99 each (limit 2). The ad said they had 2 sizes and that they were chocolate leather with black wood. They we only available at that price on Friday morning.

I figured I would be working (IKEA opens at 10am) so I put it in the back of my head.

This morning I realized I was home and would have time to run over there before I ran to the Container Store, Home Depot, and Office Depot.

At 9:30am, I pulled into the parking lot at IKEA (IN MY BRAND NEW CAR!!!), thinking I should probably be at the store when they opened for breakfast so I could wait in line for the barstools.

When I walked in the front door, there were my barstools, and 2 people handing out wristbands (yes, wristbands). Purple for short, grey for tall. Guess which ones I went for?

100_3252

I felt like I was buying tickets for a super popular concert. There were about 10 other people there also getting wristbands. The wristbands guaranteed I would get 2 short (25inch) leather barstools for the cheap price.

I went up the escalator to see if I could get an OJ while I was waiting for the actual store to open, and WOW – people galore!!!

I was amazed – there were about 150 people in line for breakfast. I didn’t know that IKEA was that popular for breakfast.

And I don’t know if it IS usually this busy, because I lucked out again, IKEA was giving away free breakfast today! And it was a great breakfast! Eggs, bacon and potatoes.

100_3253

It only cost me $1.29—for the 100 percent OJ I found.

100_3254

I ate, then went back downstairs waiting for the store to open.

I was one of the first people to get my 2 chairs, and was out the door by 10:03am. They fit well in the Fit (pun totally intended) with the 60 part of the 60/40 seat folded down flat.

Have I mentioned yet how much I love my new car??

I had a crazy day at work, came home and made a turkey burger and sweet potato fries for dinner, then put together my new chairs. It only took about 15 minutes per chair.

So,  TADA! Here they are!

100_3256

different view…

100_3255

How was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment