Thursday, May 14, 2009

I’ve always had a thing for Quakers

When I was little, I wasn’t much of a breakfast kind of gal. My mom still to this day makes the best toast*, hands down, but if I had to pick my favorite breakfast, it had to be a tie between two cereals.

Lucky Charms and Quaker Oats Crunchy Corn Bran (AKA QOCCB).

Yeah, yeah. I know what you’re thinking.

Corn Bran? She, as a kid, loved Corn Bran? Just having the name “bran” in the name makes most kids run screaming the other direction. I can understand Lucky Charms, but CORN BRAN?!? No way.

But really, this cereal was amazing. Yummy pockets of sweet goodness in 2 percent milk**. They almost pop open in your mouth if you catch them at the right pre-soggy moment.

I haven’t had QOCCB in almost 10 years—not for lack of trying.

Each time I was in (add chain grocery store name here) I would search the cereal isle for it. Top row of “good for you” cereals. Middle/second row of “the most popular and sometimes the most expensive cereals” (cuz they are eye level for most people--really) and the bottom/middle row of “the most kid –friendly” cereals (yep, you guessed it, kid eye-level)

No luck.

UNTIL TONIGHT. (!!!)

Who would guess that my ‘lil ‘ol local Publix would have EXACTLY what I have been searching for. 100_3372

Tomorrow’s breakfast?

Is gonna be a good one.

-----

*And popcorn. And cereal. We still laugh that I remember her “cooking” 3 things that take no effort at all, but not the 100’s of other great meals she slaved for hours over.

**It HAD to be 2%. Maaaaybe 1%. But none of that watery skim junk. Have you ever tried Lucky Charms with skim milk? If not, just…don’t. Ew.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I love QOCCB! I think I need to buy some immediately, as I haven't had it forever. I hope I can find some!

    Ann Spedl and I used to make QOCCB and peanut butter sandwiches when were in elementary school. It was so good! You will have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete